Thursday, October 9, 2008

Me? Attractive?

Sometimes I forget other people find me attractive.
I arrived in a coffee shop a couple minutes early to meet my boy of interest and went to the counter to check out the goodies. (Not the blonde behind the counter, but the sweet delicious pastries that coffee shops shove in your face, forcing you to buy them.)
I decided on a herbal tea, and nanimo bar. The employee seemed baffled by me. After I had ordered my drink and treat he asked me if it was for "here, or to go?". "For here" I answered, expecting an Eco-friendly plate and glass mug. Instead he offered some awkward conversation, took my money, and smiling handed me my treat in a bag, and my tea in a paper cup.
Thinking not much of it, I took a seat.
Later in the conversation with my affectionate one, he asked me why I had gotten a bag, and paper cup, as it didn't seem like me. I responded telling him that I had in fact said, "for here."
We both laughed, and my boy said, "sometimes I would forget what I was doing when a pretty blonde would show up at my work."
We laughed a little more, and I thought how sometimes I really forget that some people find me attractive.
I think this is due to the media hype, plastering the world with so many pictures of the perfect (completely unachievable) body, with perfect skin and hair? Or because as people we are so self-conscious about our looks, that we forget that we do have attractive features?

1 comment:

MissJess said...

Jess here [yes, I love reading blogs so don't mind me if I attack yours with feral rage from time to time :)]. I know you wrote this a while ago but I think you bring up some really valid points about attraction and perception. It's upsetting that people have to base what they "should" look like off of what media dictates; especially if you've got a few extra pounds, crooked teeth or something else that people would look at and say "Oi, that needs a fix." Personally, I feel that confidence is the best medicine for that but again, a lovely catch 22 is presented: how can you have confidence when you believe everyone around you is 'prettier' or 'thinner' or 'stereotypically attractive'. Sigh. The world is a crazy and harsh place but to me, people who come out the better and with a good head on their shoulders (such as yourself!) prove themselves more attractive and beautiful than the stick women who grace the pages of Maxim.

Hope all is well and I hope to see ya soon! Maybe drinks sometime?