Monday, April 12, 2010

Car Graveyard


I turned my alarm off this morning for what seemed to be the 20th time. I realized I could delay it no more… I must get up and leave Winnipeg.
I showered, gathered all my stuff, and checked out. I hit a coffee shop along the way and picked up a muffin for the train ride.
Although I slept in too long, and couldn't go out for breakfast, I did have some extra time before the train left the station. I headed back over to Forks. I picked up some fresh fruit, and a sandwich (and a brownie…shhhhh!) for the train ride. I once again walked along the historic nature walk.
This time I decided to stop and chat with the locals. SpongeBob called them wild animals, but they seemed pretty civil. I saw this awesome billboard overtop of the bridge to cross the river.
It was peaceful to listen to the river flow along, and watch it slowly trickle along.
Said my Goodbye to Winnipeg!
I got to the station early, hoping to get a good seat on the train. There was a huge group (20ish) of kids there. Maybe not kids, but late teens (14 - 17). I looked over at them throwing things at each other, playing clapping games, and repeating silly names at each other.
My stomach flipped with the idea of the coach car being full of these loud teens, and I possibly having to share a seat :( I tried to get to the front of the line, getting to choose the best seat. However, Via-Rail is awesome and attached a second Coach car for the occasion. They are all in the other car. The dome car is much busier.
Right after we crossed the boarder between Manitoba and Saskatchewan we went into the Qu'Appelle Valley. This valley stretches for about twenty-five miles and was formed by the giant ice sheet that covered Canada about 12 000 years ago. I really enjoyed seeing the carving, and erosion left behind from tens of thousands of years ago. (Yeah, Nerd here!)
We had a quick stop in Melville. I jumped off the train and noticed a graveyard for old cars. I couldn't help but turn my camera off of auto, and play with the shutter speeds and what-nots to get some shots of the these beauties. Most people would think this is junk, but I really enjoyed taking these photos. I really like the way that time and circumstance can alter something's appearance to become what we see today. I love the way that the rust is eating away at the car's exteriors and how abandoned and unloved they look. I hope you enjoy these photos.















3 comments:

Vivian, VIA Rail's virtual tour guide said...

I always stock up at the Forks too - love that market! Winnipeg has the BEST cream cheese ever...

Cool shots of that car graveyard. I'm going to whip out my camera next time I'm there and we can compare shots!

Vivian is Virtual
VIA Rail's tour guide

Melody said...

I'll have to grab some cream cheese on my trip back!
You should totally take some shots of the Car graveyard. Let's compare! I'd like to see what you come up with :)
Too bad the stop in Melville is only about ten minutes.
how long have you been riding the trains?

Leisa said...

The blue-green car is beautiful! Why do you think the owner threw it away? Car restoration has probably existed before. Hmm. Anyway, there's real beauty in such old cars! People see it too, that's why others take time to visit car graveyards and find materials that can still be used for restoration.

Leisa Dreps