Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Jasper





I awoke feeling refreshed. I think I slept about twelve hours or so. I felt happy still and was excited about the day ahead of me. I ran over to the window and pulled back the curtains. They were still there, it wasn't a dream, "Good morning Mountains," I said I headed to the shower.
One of the first things I noticed about this town (other than the distraction of the mountains), was that it has a lot of cobblestone. A lot of the building have stones in their walls. Also there are these benches. They look like something from the Flinstones. I giggle at them but I really enjoy the way they look.
I went for breakfast. I ended up at this place on the main strip. They were actually done breakfast so I had some soup and a sandwich. 
After I ate I headed through town to the museum. It was closed. It made me a little sad, museum number two I have missed. Directly behind the museum was some nature trails which lead into the foothills and into the mountains. OH FUN!
I looked at the map… Which way… twenty mile loop or nine kms to Pyramid lake. I decided pyramid lake sounded not only easier, but the reward of a lake was at the end.
Within two minutes I was in the forrest. I could no longer see the town, and all I could see was the forrest around me. There was this one rock I passed where I was sure there was a face in it. Did Medusa trap a man inside thousands of years ago? Do you see it?
As I followed along the path I watched the town of Jasper get smaller and smaller. I marvelled at how it existed perfectly with nature completely surrounding it.
I walked along in peace for about an hour or so. I had lots of time to think, and it was so nice to be alone, uninterrupted with my thoughts. I looked over the last year in my mind, and it helped me to better understand myself and my wants in life. I didn't get anything figured out, or come to an epiphany, but it was really nice to have some quiet to think.
SpongeBob and I had some fun staking rocks. I always love the way these mini statues look. Inukshuks!
Every jogger I passed in the woods said hello. All of them were with someone or had a dog with them. I thought it was kind of dumb to go alone. Not only are these woods full of wildlife, but I saw, on a number of occasions, bear prints in the mud.
I eventually ended up in Patricia Lake. It was nothing short of spectacular. The lake was frozen over and the contrast of green trees and hills between the mountains, sky, and lake was breathtaking.







I sat on the lake for about twenty minutes or so. Mouth-gaping stare I'm sure the whole time. Spongy got excited that we were at a lake and kept talking about searching for his pineapple. Eventually he got really excited and tried diving in. It took a bump on the head and twenty minutes of explanation before he understood the lake was frozen.
On the way back I took a detour. Took a path that looped around a different part of the woods. Was I ever happy that I did, for the trail winded further and further up the hill. The view was great and the rolling hills reminded of a bright eyed child, or little house on the prairie. I imaged running up the hill with my hair in pig-tails crying, "pa-pa! Pa-pa!"
The path went back and forth and slowly scaled back down the side of the mountain. I kept marvelling at how steep the slopes were (the ones I was staring right beside).
Not a trail? REALLY!? It certain looks like a tire rim to me. Hum?
I got back from my little hike just in time to watch Buffy… Oh how I love that show! Especially the old episodes.
I killed a bit of time and watched a silly 80s movie about a cross-dressing college kid.
Then I headed to the main strip for dinner. I sat at the bar and had a delicious steak, with some mashed potatoes and asparagus. I took my time there, it had a fun youthful vibe. I decided that I would have some desert, but what I wanted they did not have, so I opted for a glass of port instead (Taylor 20, my face!). I asked for a glass, but what I got was a bucket. The bartender poured me about 9oz. (For those who don't know, 2oz. of pour is equal to one drink). I was shocked, but knew I would enjoy it. When I headed out for a cigar, the bartender came out for a smoke and asked me to come with him to the nearby club (Pete's). He was a good looking, friendly English chap, and we were hitting it off chatting all evening. I decided I would hang out till he was done and follow him over.
Upon getting back inside I met one of the cooks who was at the bar. The bartender had poured him a pint and threw a couple shots of Hyphynoptic in it. It smelt strange, but he said it didn't taste terrible. We started chatting a bit, and I found out he was from Barrie. He seemed nice enough and told me he would see me over at Pete's.
Once the bartender and the manager were finished closing up, we all headed over. I got stopped at the door and asked for ID. I presented my health card, and his response was, "I don't take healthcard's." He wouldn't even look at it, and I had nothing else. I guess I wasn't getting in there.
I began my walk back to hotel. It was probably time to head back anyways, my head was swirling with all the port and drinks before that. I didn't even get a block when I heard someone calling my name. "No one knows me in Jasper," I thought to myself. I saw that it was the cook that I had been talking to at the restaurant. He asked me why I wasn't at Pete's already and I explained.
He didn't seem phased at all. "Let's go over here," and we continued walking.
He took me to a nearby pub and we grab a drink. We chatted some more and laughed an what not. Some of his friends invited us to a party just after last call. I said YES! But it was decided if we were to go to a party that booze was in order. We went to another hotel, or bar type place and bought a bottle of gin. It definitely was sketchy. (sorry daddy)
Then it was decided that one wold need juice with said gin and so the cook and I made a detour to the Mac's Mart. It was weird, the town had felt empty and quiet since I arrived, but during this time people were running around everywhere. The bar we went to, the sketchy hotel/bar, the club I couldn't get into, and the Mac's Mart were full of people having good times. Man, does Jasper ever come alive at night.
The cook, Nate, lead me to his place, and very much discouraged me from going to the party. He said that it would be twelve guys in a garage doing coke all night. I was still down for going, it was twelve guys I didn't know and could chat with while I got drunk. (Not that I was or anything at this point).
We ended up chilling at Nate's wicked apartment till stupid o'clock. Chatting, drinking, laughing. I remember we watched some BAD music videos.
I got back to my hotel at 5:30am.

1 comment:

MissJess said...

Your pictures are STUNNING! I'm so happy you're having a great time out there but we seriously miss you back home!
LOVE YA GIRLIE!