Monday, April 12, 2010

FORTress of Solitude

There's a cute old man who's sitting across from me. I know, I know, I always think the elderly are cute…. but they are. Maybe that's why I'm enjoying this trip so much, so many cute and interesting elderly people to look at.
Anywho… when we pulled out of Winnipeg he raced over to my side of the train and pressed his face against the glass and started waving. We past by his apartment building and his roommate was on the balcony waving too. I couldn't quite tell if his roommate had seen him, but as we passed his waves got more aggressive, so I told him I thought he had. We got into a bit of a nice chat about the different markets around Canada. Comparing The Forks (Winnipeg), St.Lawerence (Toronto), and Grandville Island (Vancouver). He is retired and likes to travel the rails now as a means of entertainment because his cost of living is a little low. He has some family in Missasagau and seems to know a bit about the different areas in Toronto. It was to talk about something familiar. I gave him directions to check out mini-China town on Broadview (he asked), as well as Riverdale Farm and that giant Riverdale park. 
I did a couple silly things on this train trip. Firstly they wouldn't turn off the goddamn search lights! Ok, not search lights, but blinding overhead lights for the whole coach car. I was sleepy and the blanket over my head was NOT working this time. I built myself a little fort. Everyone was looking at me strangely who walks by. But i do my evil laugh to myself and say, "Suckers! They wish they had their own fort to sleep in!" SpongeBob loves it! I'm ready to take it down, but he won't let me.
There is another man, in a couple seats in front of me. He came on without a ticket. He was instructed to pick one up in Sasktoon. He went to the dome car instead. Let's see if he gets on in Edmonton, or if he can make it to Kamloops for free.
We just passed through Wainwright. I look out the window and once again see snow. I shutter at the thought that Jasper might have snow still. I've been checking the weather, and they have been around and above ten degrees for a couple weeks now… but snow I still fear. I think mainly because I do not have the approbate clothing to deal with said weather conditions.
It's almost 4am, and all my coach-mates are asleep. I was awaken to the sound of my phone receiving signal once again, and receiving 11 texts, 4 e-mails, and 2 voicemails. I LOVE YOU GUYZ! My coach-mates looked annoyed, and I was embarrassed, but happy to know you guy are wondering about me. If anyone would like to send me an e-mail with updates on how you are, that would be great! I would love to hear from you and see how things are going for you.
Quite mental breaks from trying so hard to sleep are good. It also allows me to write silly entertaining things to myself. I hope you are enjoying reading these entries… if not, oh well! I am:p
Passing through the prairies at night is interesting. It's so dark, and all you can see are a few specks on light on the far distant horizon. I read in my rail-guide, that they purposely go through the parries at night to avoid people from getting prairie fever. It's supposedly so flat and boring, that people need a mental break from it. Oh mental break!
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
I think I'm gonna go back into my fort now, or as Luke would call it, my "Fortress of Solitude", and try to get a little more sleep. Nighty!

No comments: